Brand USA has established itself as a world-class destination marketing organization as it celebrates the eighth anniversary of the signing of the Travel Promotion Act.
“From mobile to giant screen to everything in between, Brand USA is setting the standard for what it means to be a best-in-class destination marketing organization,” said Brand USA President and Chief Executive Officers Chris Thompson. “With the launch of our IMAX® films and GoUSA TV, we are immersing audiences in a deeper travel story, promoting the United States like never before.”
Eight years ago, on March 4, legislation was signed to create the nation’s first public-private partnership to spearhead a global marketing effort to promote the United States as a premier travel destination and to communicate U.S. visa and entry policies.
Since kicking off its operations in May 2011, Brand USA has been determined to put the U.S. on a level playing field to compete globally in attracting international visitation and traveler spend to fuel the nation's economy. The organization has grown from a startup with 89 partners to one working with 800 partners worldwide.
“Everything we have accomplished, we have accomplished together,” Thompson said.
Over the past four years, Brand USA marketing initiatives have:
- Helped welcome 4.3 million incremental visitors to the USA, resulting in nearly $30 billion in total economic impact and supporting an average of 50,900 incremental jobs a year.
- Returned to the U.S. economy an average of $27 for each $1 spent on marketing activities.
- Earned and maintained a 98 percent partner program retention rate for Fiscal Year 2016.
- Earned a 90 percent or higher on our annual partner satisfaction survey each year the study has been conducted.
- Established consumer and trade marketing initiatives in more than 40 international markets which generate more than 90 percent of all inbound travel to the United States.
- Expanded the USA consumer campaign to 16 key markets that generate more than 85 percent of the United States' international visitors.
- Instituted the nation’s largest in-market representation network to work directly with the international travel trade in more than 20 top travel markets.
- Released two highly successful giant-screen films - "America Wild: National Parks Adventure" and "America’s Musical Journey" - which inspire travelers to experience the natural wonders and the music and cultural of the United States.
- Launched GoUSA TV, a global web streaming and non-linear television format, featuring content and curated playlists that highlight the best in travel inspiration.
- Developed innovative travel product throughout all 50 states, five territories, and the District of Columbia, including a travel trade trip kit with robust regional and themed itineraries that begin in major U.S. cities and extend beyond the gateway cities to discover iconic landmarks and hidden travel gems.
- Blazed new trails in what it means to be a public-private partnership by producing a “Market the Welcome” toolkit, providing cohesive and high-quality messages about travel to the USA and establishing a more welcoming environment for use at U.S. embassies and ports of entry.
“We have had an amazing run to date and I believe our best is yet to come,” Thompson said. “We look forward to our continued work with partners as we take our international marketing efforts to even higher levels of success.”