Brand USA’s Annual Report sheds light on the effectiveness of its fiscal year 2018 consumer marketing efforts, expanding market outreach, and impactful partnership, and industry engagement
During a press conference this week at IPW 2019, Brand USA, the destination marketing organization for the United States, discussed highlights from its Fiscal Year 2018 (FY2018) Annual Report, which outlines the organization’s progress, activities, financial condition, and accomplishments in compliance with the Travel Promotion Act.
Brand USA’s mission is to increase incremental visitation, spend, and market share to fuel the nation’s economy and enhance the image of the United States worldwide. Brand USA’s FY2018 marketing initiatives helped to welcome 1.13 million incremental visitors to the USA. Those visitors spent a record $4.1 billion, generated a record $8.9 billion toward the U.S. economy, and supported more than 52,000 incremental U.S. jobs, according to a study by Oxford Economics.
“The 2018 ROI study confirms the effectiveness of the creative and inspirational programs and campaigns Brand USA creates to increase international visitation,” said Christopher L. Thompson, president and CEO of Brand USA. “As we near our 10-year anniversary, we are excited to continue to work with our partners to market the USA as the ultimate travel destination.”
Below are a few highlights of success in 2018:
- The USA consumer campaign is now available in 14 markets, which are responsible for generated more than 80 percent of all international visitation to the United States: Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, France, Germany, India, Japan, South Korea, Mexico, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.
- Premiered Brand USA’s second giant-screen film, “America’s Musical Journey,” which explores U.S. destinations using music as a cultural lens to discover the diversity of experiences across in the United States. The film opened in more than 75 theaters across nine countries.
- Launched the “Hear the Music, Experience the USA” campaign, which features five artists from five cities representing five musical genres and their interpretation of the iconic song “Do You Want to Dance.” In partnership with Spotify, created 20 destination-specific playlists which have been streamed more than 29,000 times.
- Launched a proprietary connected TV channel GoUSA TV now available on Roku, Apple TV, and Amazon Fire. The channel currently streams more than 20 original and episodic features told from the diverse perspectives of people across the USA.
Global Trade Reach
- Continuation of the strong slate of Roadshows, Trade Shows, Sales Missions, MegaFams, and Product Fams.
- The USA Discovery Program, an award-winning online training and education platform for travel trade, tour operators, and travel agents expanded the number of travel agents registered to a total of 29,661.
- With the addition of Mexico, the USA Discovery program is now available in seven international markets: Australia, Brazil, China, India, Mexico, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom.
- Hosted 16 roadshows and four sales missions with 140 U.S. destinations, travel brands, attractions, and tour operators who participated in 5,099 appointments with travel trade and media from the following markets: Australia & New Zealand, China, India, Japan, and Korea.
- Hosted four MegaFams, or familiarization trips, which brought nearly 200 travel agents to nearly 100 destinations in 19 states and the District of Columbia.
Partnerships and Industry Engagement
- Expanded Brand USA’s partnership network to 982 partners through FY2018 a 15 percent increase over 2017.
- Distributed nearly 550,000 inspriations guides, the number one program partners participate in featuring 195 U.S. destinations and available in 13 languages.
- Launched 13 multi-channel campaigns across nine markets: Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Germany, India, Japan, Mexico, and the United Kingdom.
- 94 percent of partners in a recent satistisfaction survey said Brand USA provides value to their organization.
About Brand USA
Brand USA, the destination marketing organization for the United States, was established by the Travel Promotion Act as the nation's first public-private partnership to promote the United States as a premier travel destination and to communicate U.S. travel policies and procedures to worldwide travelers. The organization’s mission is to increase international visitation to the USA in order to fuel the U.S. economy and enhance the image of the United States worldwide. Formed as the Corporation for Travel Promotion in 2010, the public-private entity began operations in May 2011 and does business as Brand USA. According to studies by Oxford Economics, over the past six years, Brand USA's marketing initiatives have helped welcome 6.6 million incremental visitors to the USA, benefiting the U.S. economy with more than $21.8 billion in total economic impact and supporting, on average, nearly 52,000 incremental U.S. jobs a year.
For industry or partner information about Brand USA, visit TheBrandUSA.com. To discover more about the USA and the boundless diversity of American travel experiences and authentic, rich culture, please visit Brand USA’s consumer website VisitTheUSA.com and follow Visit The USA on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.